If you are lucky enough to be making your baby on your own, then making your bedroom a fertility-haven should be on your priority list!
If you aren’t familiar with my blog, I’m a lady who was told that my eggs were bum and we’d need donor eggs to get pregnant. But, I researched the heck out of my diagnoses (High FSH, low AMH, low antral follicle count, endometriosis, MTHFR mutation), figured out ALL THE THINGS, and did them. And, I got pregnant naturally, very quickly.
Seriously, I did 79 things to get pregnant!
So, you better believe that making my bedroom a fertility-haven was on my to-do list!
Why you should overhaul your bedroom for fertility
In terms of the physical world of your home, the bedroom is the base of the marriage. It is where you sleep together, where you have sex together, and where you relax together. Other places are important for other things, but in terms of making a baby- the bedroom is your base!
So, not only do we want an attractive, clean and tidy bedroom, but we want one that is safe for fertility. This means we need to eliminate any toxins that might harm male or female fertility, including electronics, conventional mattresses with Volitile Organic Compounds (VOCs) or flame-retardants, and make sure we get rid of any air-borne harmful particles.
We also want a bedroom that invites calm and love. So as you read through these recommendations, think about what kind of decoration brings you peace and makes you feel connected to your partner.
This post most definitely has affiliate links in it. If you decide to buy something I recommend, please consider clicking through one of my links to help support this blog and my family! This is how I am able to stay home with my miracle children and blog freely without charging for courses, coaching, or membership, etc.. Thank you!
10 Ways to Make Your Bedroom a Fertility Haven
Ready to get baby-making? Here is a mix of evidence-based and feng shui recommendations for making your bedroom the best place for conceiving your miracle.
- Keep your space clean. When you are organizing and cluttering, prioritize your bedroom. It is the place of sleep and sex- let it be uncluttered and tidy!
- Move your wireless router as far away from your bedroom as possible, and consider turning it off at night when you go to sleep. It decreases sperm count and motility. You can program your wireless router to turn off, or you can buy a mechanical outlet timer.
- Get all the electronics out of your bedroom. Your bedroom is a place for sleep, rest, and sex. It is not a place to watch tv, work on your computer, or, God forbid, have your wireless router. Move it out of the bedroom. Actually, try to avoid all screens for an hour before bedtime (at least!!) or use blue light glasses or filters, to protect your fertility! Circadian rhythms are crucial for fertility and the blue light can screw with them!
- Change your sheets every week. It might sound strange, but toxins that affect fertility, like phthalates, VOCs, and pesticides tracked in from outside, can accumulate quickly in your sheets.
- Vacuum with a HEPA filter every week! Speaking of endocrine-disrupting phthalates, they live in the dust in our homes. Vacuuming every week will help suck up those nasty toxins that could be hurting your fertility. We use a Dyson Ball, and a Roomba, but there are plenty of HEPA brands.
- Filter your air! If you don’t have an air filter for your whole house, consider investing in one for your bedroom. You are breathing in that air for 7-8 hours of every day- make sure it is free of harmful VOCs, phthalates, and any other irritants! We just invested in an Intellipure 468, but other great options include Austin filters, and RabbitAir filters,
- Sleep on an organic mattress. If you’re sleeping on a traditional mattress, or worse, on a memory foam mattress, you are exposing to flame retardants, VOCs, and other crap like formaldehyde. These are linked to infertility in men and women, and increased risk of miscarriage. We sleep on an EOS Naturepedic Mattress and we love it! Read my whole review on how to pick an organic mattress here!
- Sleep on organic bedding also! Make sure you grab pillows, mattress and pillow covers, and sheets that are certified organic to make sure you aren’t exposed to pesticides or other toxins while you sleep! We use Naturepedic pillows and covers, and a variety of organic sheet sets. Some companies that I love for organic sheets include White Lotus and Sol Organics.
- Only have pictures of you and your partner. Remove any pictures of other family members, and use your bedroom as a spot to highlight your wedding, honeymoon, or special times together.
- Decorate with Fertility Symbols. I love rabbits, turtles, snakes, eggs, fertility goddesses, apples, flowers, and trees (here is the one we have in our room). But a more traditional Feng Shui approach would have you decorate with a pair of elephants with their trunks down, pomegranates images, houseplants, pieces of bamboo, red paper lanterns, and a single small dragon statue near the man’s side of the bed.
Now, no excuses! Go get things ready for baby-making!
Ways We Decorated Our Bedroom
I’m a huge fan of fertility symbols, and we used Kokopelli, a lizard, and various themes on trees and eggs in our bedroom! Here are some pictures from our bedroom and links to what we used to decorate!