My name is Anna and I got pregnant naturally when the doctors had given up all hope. After two years of trying to get pregnant, with multiple early miscarriages, endometriosis, an MTHFR mutation, low AMH, low antral follicle count and an FSH reading of 34, I was told that I would never have a baby with my own eggs at an age of 32. I was frustrated, sad, and on the verge of depression. I was given one shot of IVF, but only if I lowered my FSH significantly. I embarked on a series of life changing diet, exercise, spiritual, and emotional work that lowered my FSH to 12 and helped me get happy and healthy while preparing for IVF. I never did try IVF- I was pregnant naturally in under three months! You can read my whole story in my first blog post. You can also sign up for my newsletter and download the list of everything I did to get pregnant by going here!
I spent hours combing the internet, reading books, and talking with various healers in order to develop my fertility plan, and I don’t want you to have to do the same (unless you want to!). I am writing the blog that I wish existed when I was trying to get pregnant. I very much hope that my story inspires other women to empower themselves and own their fertility journey- and to ultimately get pregnant and become the mommies they are meant to be.
I live in Virginia with my wonderful husband, my perfect miracle toddler, and our sweet crazy cat. In addition to blogging about fertility, I enjoy cooking healthy homemade meals, taking long walks, and excessive cuddling.
My miracle baby is now an amazing two and a half year old and we have been blessed with a second miracle! I am due with a little girl in April 2018!
About this Blog
I started this blog in order to share how I got pregnant naturally after the doctors told me I would only have a successful pregnancy with donor eggs. Through major diet changes and mind-body work I went from being frustrated, stressed, and near depressed with an FSH reading of 34, to happy, healthy, and pregnant in under three months. It took reading multiple books, websites, and research studies, working with coaches, hypnotherapists, and acupuncturists, and much, much more to come up with the plan that I put into motion in July 2014 that led to my pregnancy in September 2014. After two years of trying I finally figured out the secret to energize my eggs, warm my womb, increase my overall health and vitality and . . . GET PREGNANT!
Basically, I want to write the blog I wish I’d found when I was researching how to increase my egg health and get pregnant naturally. There are so many websites and books out there that are just encyclopedias with an overload of information- much of which is out of date, incorrect, or just not useful. You won’t find a blog entry here rhapsodizing the god-like effects of maca for fertility, because 1) I didn’t use it, and 2) you can find that information all over the internet. Seriously. Google “supplements for fertility” and you’ll be up to your eyeballs in that nonsense. What I do want to share is what worked for me, including, for example, my approach to fertility supplements.
More importantly, I want to challenge my readers to make major life changes. I spent two years taking the mainstream fertility advice and it just didn’t work. Things like “minimize caffeine consumption,” and “eat lots of vegetables, meat, and high fat dairy,” were not enough, and I doubt that such general advice will work for anyone with serious issues with egg quality or other “infertility” related diagnoses. I realized that I need to go “all in” and try my very hardest before deciding to go the donor egg route.
If you have spent years trying to get pregnant, either naturally, or with IUI or IVF, and are reaching a point of frustration and doubt, you have come to the right place. But, be ready. My advice is not for the faint of heart. I want you to dedicate three months to my plan for fertility. That means three full months of strict diet choices such as: no caffeine, no coffee of any kind, no alcohol, no sweeteners of any kind, no refined carbohydrates of any kind, and many other requirements that are probably pretty different than your current lifestyle. The good news is – I’m only asking you to do this for three months! You don’t have to do this for the rest of your life!
If you have experienced many years of trying to conceive and failing, please consider committing to the To Make a Mommy Plan for three months before trying another cycle of IUI or IVF. That way, you and your eggs can be in tip-top condition for the big event. Additionally, if you have reached the end of your rope with doctors and are ready to give up on IVF and move on to donor eggs or adoption, consider committing yourself to just three months of this plan. If it doesn’t work, and you want to move on, eat cupcakes, have a glass a wine, and start the adoption procedures, go for it. If it doesn’t work, but you feel happier and healthier than ever, consider sticking with it a while- maybe your body just needs a little extra time to process some old emotional or physical baggage. If it DOES work, make sure to email me your story!
Basic Tenets of this blog:
- I believe we are our own best healers. We MUST advocate for ourselves and manage our own reproductive journey. No one doctor, therapist, or acupuncturist knows exactly what you need. Surround yourself with wise women and men who can contribute knowledge and tools to your baby journey, but make your own decisions!
- The cycle of egg creation is 90 days. That means that if you can make ALL of these life changes for three months, you’ve got a good shot of getting pregnant. This is important! I don’t expect you to give up caffeine, alcohol, and sweets for the rest of your life! But I do expect you to give them up for three months.
- I believe in the power of women to create life, and in the power of women to heal themselves. Not like crazy faith-healing, but in the power of women to be their own doctors. No one knows your body better than you do! They key is to listen to it!
- Everything I share will be backed up by either science/evidence, or my own personal experience. Anything else is just wasting all of our time, and likely exists elsewhere on the web.
- Spending years and years trying to conceive is hard on your sense of well being and your marriage/partnership. Why not go for the gold and do EVERYTHING you can to maximize your chances of getting pregnant NOW, either naturally or during your next IVF cycle? Do you really want to wait through multiple failed cycles or devastating early miscarriages just to decide to buckle down and do the diet years from now? NOW is the time!
- I will never tell you to “just relax.” Ever! This is a relaxation free zone. In the To Make A Mommy fertility plan you are encouraged to feel ALL your little feelers, including anxiety, anger, and grief. In fact, all of those feelings are helpful! They are your energy which should be channeled towards creating a baby.
- I believe in a higher power, and I reference it frequently. I use the words “God” and “Universe” the most often to refer to what I understand as the divine. I believe the divine resides in us, and that all our being is connected and working towards our greater good.
- I want to share this information for free. Just please consider clicking through to my links to purchase any items I talk about! I will earn a small affiliate fee on some of them. It turns out this whole blog thing costs money and if I could break even I’d be so happy!
“Okay!” you say. “But what do I do to get pregnant???”
You can start with the To Make A Mommy Fertility Plan or my first blog post which tells my story of how I got pregnant naturally and beat the odds! You can also sign up for my newsletter and receive my list of every single thing I did to get pregnant (it turns out it was 79 things!).
How I got Happy, Healthy & Pregnant!
Want to know how I got happy, healthy, and pregnant in less than 3 months after 2 years of infertility and miscarriages?
You need my list of the 79 diet and lifestyle changes I made that transformed my life and brought my miracle baby to me!
Although some of the photography is by me or my husband, all of the pregnancy and newborn pictures were taken by the amazing Bee Me Photography.