It only takes 30 days to establish a new habit. During the first thirty days of your three months practicing the To Make A Mommy Fertility Plan, you need to establish habits that increase fertility. Some of these come from Chinese Medicine, some come from old wives tales that hold universal truths, some are based on scientific evidence, and others are just ways to show the universe that you are ready to have a baby. Overall, the message is the same as in the other To Make A Mommy Fertility Plan elements- you want to establish habits and activities that INCREASE the energy to your reproductive organs, and to eliminate habits and activities that steal energy away from your eggs, ovaries, and womb.
- Have Lots of Sex. Research shows that the very best way to ensure you maximize your chances of getting pregnant naturally is to have sex every single day of your fertile time. Personally, I found that most methods of tracking ovulation (basal temperature, cervical mucous, pee sticks, etc.) took energy away from my procreative endeavours. Instead, I decided, since I can never really know for sure WHEN my fertile time is each month, I’m going to have sex EVERY SINGLE DAY of my life that I am not menstruating. My husband agreed. We found that this improved our relationship, bolstered our personal energy stores, and just made us happier in general. Also, we could be sure that we never ever missed sex during ovulation!
- Get Plenty of Sleep. Honey, do you really think your eggs are getting the energy they need if you are only sleeping for five hours every night? Don’t “aim” for 7-8 hours of sleep every night, make it an absolute life requirement. Arrange your life so that you can sleep for a very minimum of seven hours of sleep every single night. If you have sleep issues DEAL WITH THEM NOW. You don’t want to be dealing with insomnia when you are already sleep deprived with a newborn!
- Declutter Your Schedule. The universe, in all her wisdom, knows if you are ready to have a baby or not. If your schedule is jam packed and you are bustling about from activity to activity, with no time for rest, creativity, sleep, connection with your partner, and self-care activities, then you sure as heck don’t have time for a baby. Now is the time to start removing the non-essential energy-draining activities from your schedule. You need to have time to do the entire To Make a Mommy Mind-Body program, have sex every day, get lots of sleep, journal, do creative things, exercise, and spend time in nature. So you better start finding other activities to cut so you can simplify, simplify, simplify.
- Exercise. Gentle regular exercise that gets your blood flowing is invigorating for the reproductive organs. Stagnant blood and energy is a big no-no in Eastern Medicine, and one cure is to get up and get moving! There is no need to overdo this one. A long walk in nature every day is ideal. Yoga is lovely. If there are other exercises that you love, that give you energy and endorphins, and that help center you, then by all means do them. But if you are so into your triathlon training that your periods have stopped then you need to re-think your priorities.
Other fertile practices that I will blog more about include:
- Practice Fertility-Enhancing Sex
- Keep your Feet Warm
- Dream Journal
- Create things: Craft, write, design
- Practice Mayan Belly Massage
- Find time for your favorite hobbies
- Read lots of fertility success stories
- Avoid screentime after dark
- Surround yourself with fertile symbols
- Pray, pray, pray