There are many Catholic Saints that you can pray to for fertility, and St. Brigid (St. Bridget of Ireland) is not the most common.
She is, however, a saint of great comfort to me and I make sure to celebrate her at her feast day on February 1st.
This post includes a brief overview of St. Brigid, ideas for celebrating St. Brigid’s Feast Day, traditional prayers to St. Brigid, and my own original prayer to St. Brigid to help conceive a healthy baby.
St. Brigid, Patron Saint of Midwives and Babies
About St. Brigid
St. Brigid is the patron saint of the house, women, homemakers, midwives, fire, and babies, among other things. She is known as a staunch advocate for women, wives, and mothers. Even if she isn’t officially a patron saint of infertility, she is a good saint to pray with when trying to conceive!
St. Brigid was an early Irish Catholic Nun who became an abbess and founded multiple convents. The most famous was in Kildare, Ireland, and is said to be built on an old sacred site for the pagan Celtic Goddess Brigid. Today, Kildare is still a holy site for Brigid, with St. Brigid’s Cathedral, a gorgeous St. Brigid’s well, and the Solas Bhride Center, a Christian Spirituality Center focused on the that you can visit.
St. Brigid, Goddess Brigid, and Fertility
While some scholars maintain she was an actual person who was born to a druid family and became a holy virgin nun and abbess, others believe the saint was a Christianization of the Celtic Mother Goddess Brigid.
The celtic Goddess Brigid was certainly associated with fertility, the spring, fire, birth, and all things of creation.
The Saint day of St. Brigid- February 1st, is actually related to the Celtic Holiday of Imbolc, a celebration of spring. For more information on celebrating a related holiday on February 2nd, read my post on Imbolc & Fertility.
However St. Brigid originated in as a saint, I believe she is a good saint to have on your side while on your baby journey.
See below for a traditional prayer to St. Bridget and one I wrote myself to pray for a successful conception and pregnancy.
*This post contains affiliate links which at no cost to you provide me with some small change to help keep this blog running! If you decide to buy something I recommend, please consider clicking through one of my links to help support this blog and my family! Thank you!
Celebrating St. Brigid
Here are some ideas for working with St. Brigid!
- Pray with her! See the prayers below for ideas on praying to St. Brigid. You can also free-form pray as well!
- Read more about her! Amazon has a number of books on St. Brigid that you could read if you were interested!
- Make a St. Brigid cross, or buy one. We bought one and have it up year-round in our kitchen.
- Wear her medal. I love wearing Saint medals as a reminder that they are with me and to pray with them throughout the day.
- Visit Kildare, her sacred home. You can just visit or go on an official retreat at Solas Bhride where they keep her fire lit. I visited there while pregnant with my daughter and had a very special time sitting my her flame in prayer. There is also a lovely St. Brigid well just down the lane. Truly a special place!
- Visit St. Brigid wells all over Ireland. The one in Kildare is her holiest site in Ireland, but there are holy wells dedicated to her across the country! The one in between Liscannor and the Cliffs of Moher always feels to be a special place of fertile energy.
Praying to St. Brigid for Fertility
Prayer to St. Brigid for Successful Pregnancy
(original by Anna @ tomakeamommy.com)
St. Brigid, champion of women and of babies, I ask for your blessing.
You are a healer who strengthens what is weak.
You bring harmony where there is discord.
Heal my body that I might conceive and birth a healthy child into this world.
Strengthen my soul that I may remain steadfast in my belief in my own fertility.
Bring harmony to me that my body, soul, and spirit may align to prepare for pregnancy.
Prepare my heart to welcome new life with love.
Hear my pleas, Brigid, and intercede for me to our Lord, Jesus Christ.
Through Jesus Christ I pray.
Saint Brigid Hearth Keeper Prayer
Courtesy of SaintBrigids.org
Brigid of the Mantle, encompass us,
Lady of the Lambs, protect us,
Keeper of the Hearth, kindle us.
Beneath your mantle, gather us,
And restore us to memory.
Mothers of our mother, Foremothers strong.
Guide our hands in yours,
Remind us how to kindle the hearth.
To keep it bright, to preserve the flame.
Your hands upon ours, Our hands within yours,
To kindle the light, Both day and night.
The Mantle of Brigid about us,
The Memory of Brigid within us,
The Protection of Brigid keeping us
From harm, from ignorance, from heartlessness.
This day and night,
From dawn till dark, From dark till dawn
Traditional Prayer to St. Brigid
Ask for us all today
The courage to do God’s bidding
Whatever the world may say
The grace to be strong and valiant
The grace to be firm and true
The grace to be faithful always
To God, God’s Mother, and you.